Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Why Was Your Coach Special?

If you were fortunate to have coaching that molded you, what made that coaching special? Fame, arrogance, competence, or intent don't inspire. How did they influence you?

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou


More than anything else, people see our communication, ability to add value, our respect, and connection to them. 


We manage things but lead people. Coaches who made a difference communicated not just roles but concern for me as a person more than just a player. I'll never forget when my coach told me, "you're not a starter because we like you. You're playing because you earned it." When coaches take an interest in your academics, relationships, and personal growth, reciprocation comes naturally. 


Ironically, while writing this piece, I received a note from my high school basketball coach, Sonny Lane, about "The Train of Life." Coach Lane and his assistant Dick Kelley, helped us navigate high school. They led us to the school's only state Division I sectional championship. They both attended our wedding and have remained connected to our family for forty-two years. Coach closed with a brief comment, "by the way, I am not planning to get off the train anytime soon, but if I do, just remember I am glad you were part of my journey."


As coaches, we are educators, and education is about changing behavior and changing lives. "Coaching is for today, but sharing is forever." When I address someone as 'Coach', I mean it as a badge of honor, a recognition of special purpose and performance.