Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Evaluating Players

Here's something I use at times, although I don't share it with every player. Is is subjective? Of course, as I don't have measuring tools to evaluate every skill. For example, my leading scorer might shoot free throws or perimeter shots poorly, but take quality, appropriate shots. Being a shooter and a scorer are not synonymous. 

When I think of a scorer, that means having "four ways to score" among the many - interior, mid-range, perimeter (3s), dribble penetration, transition, offensive rebounding, free throws, etc. 

I put the "knowledge" and "process" categories at the top, including toughness, as they constitute the sine qua non of effectiveness. 


One of our jobs is facilitating and encouraging player development based upon our assessment, experience, and expertise.