Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Lincoln Logs

"There is nothing stronger than gentleness." - Abraham Lincoln

Wisdom bears no exclusivity. I'm no expert on Lincoln, but we should definitely study him more. For example, Lincoln surrounded himself with rivals, not yes-men, to formulate policy. He requested Virginia's Robert E. Lee command the Union army in 1861, which obviously Lee declined. How many of us have avoided reaching out to superior associates for personal or professional reasons? 

Much went well with our (league championship, 21-4 record) season. But what am I most disappointed about? We didn't pass the ball nearly as well as I would like. Teams can pass poorly because of vision, technique, or both. I think we had 'willing' passers, but they didn't always SEE the opportunities. I own that, because my principal job is helping them SEE THE GAME. 

In more memorable positive performances, passing keyed success or comebacks. Where we failed, passing underachievement contributed mightily. 

My Irish grandfather really disliked one of his sisters-in-law. My grandmother protested, "she's a good person; she goes to church every day." His reply, "she needs to."

I read a lot and am committed to self-improvement. Why? Because there is LOTS of room for that personal growth. And presuming that I can achieve at least some of it, then I can share that incrementally and do something useful. 

I remind myself regularly, "tomorrow is promised to no one." Coach Wooden's admonition, "Make every day your masterpiece" comes to mind. When people ask me how I am, I answer, "great", because working on a better version of myself can add value to those around me. There's plenty of work ahead.