Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Making Better Basketball Decisions

The Hammer Problem. "To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail."


We add value in our domains by making better decisions. If we have more tools in our toolkit, then we add versatility. That demands understanding problems, examining multiple solutions, and crafting our decision-making. 

When I discussed Plebe year at Annapolis with my former player Lauren, I told her she needed to know five answers, "Yes,sir, No, sir, Aye,aye, sir, Right away, sir, and I don't know but I'll find out, sir." We all benefit from advancing from know that to know how

Tradeoffs define us. The "rich" trade money for time. The "poor" trade time for money. A longer commute means time sacrifice, but perhaps more housing value. While we're doing something not useful (e.g. watching Netflix), we're not studying or solving problems. "Am I confronting the world or am I accepting how it works?" This requires recognizing ego to prevent denial or prideful decisions. 

Better decisions demand better questions. Is there an answer? Is it known? How can we get there? Can we keep it simple so we don’t become confused? These skills apply broadly. 

What few, SIMPLE ways can we solve everyday BASKETBALL problems? 

Probability. Recognize the most probable outcome of your decision. "Is that more likely to be a quality shot or a SHOT TURNOVER?" Do I add more value to the team offensively or defensively? Excelling in your role means implementing probability. As Pete Carril remarked, "non-shooters are always open." 

'Base rates'. Base rates extend probability. They underlie strategies like Hack-a-Shaq, knowing whom to foul in crunch time, and whether or not to foul strategically when leading by three on a final possession. 

Anchoring. "This is what we do. We do what we do." Or we believe what we know, until it's wrong. Kevin Eastman reminds coaches, "Do it better. Do it harder. Change personnel. #%&@, it ain't working." Drew Bledsoe got hurt, and Tom Brady replaced him. Bill Belichick didn't anchor on the (then) three-time Pro Bowler. We anchor on ideas, flawed concepts, or relationships. We're ahead by 15 points with six minutes left and the opponents anchor on playing passive zone defense. That's a losing strategy. 

DNA discoverer J.D. Watson was a racist. He believed in white genetic superiority. His DNA was sequenced and revealed a substantial percentage of African DNA. He disavowed his previous beliefs. Science literally weighed his anchor. 

Circle of competence. It's okay to say, "I don't know." Mentors, coaching, and studies help expand our competence. "Better to remain silent and appear a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." 

Feedback loops. Give and seek feedback on performance. How can I improve? When I was a medical student, my intern told me, "From your writing, I see that you know a lot. You have to speak up during rounds to show that." Thank you, Anne Knowlton. 

Coaches don't correct players to be critical, but to effect change. Change the rules. Playing four-on-four 'no dribble' basketball regularly imposes cut and pass restrictions and stops players from immediately putting the ball on the floor. My game, my rules...

Premortem examination (prospective hindsight). As we head into the postseason, I ask myself, "if it turns out poorly, how will that look?" I forecast three potential problem areas, pick-and-roll defense, back door cuts, and ball sticking, especially against zone defense. We'll work on those this week before the playoffs. 

Lagniappe: 

"If you stand around, then you're asking to sit down." 


Arik Shivek "pass and cut drill." Few players naturally pass and cut. This reinforces passing and cutting.