Total Pageviews

Friday, November 16, 2018

Basketball: As Coaches, Are We Addressing Our Issues?

Everyone has issues. 


What are my strengths? "It's not work." Committed coaches craft a learning culture to add value, attract buy-in, and grow players love for learning and the game. "Make the big time where you are." 


What are my weaknesses? Thirst for knowledge can suffer style drift to sophisticated complexity. The best coaches leverage simplicity and reduction

How do I leverage strengths? Tim S. Grover's Relentless reminds us that flowing water cuts canyons through rock. If we model ourselves after greats in other disciplines, in other eras, then we have a chance to approach excellence. My morning process includes study (MasterClass), reading, thinking, and writing. 


Am I addressing my weaknesses? Ego is the enemy. When I spell my name, it's SOMEBODY, EVERYBODY, NOBODY. Know that "relationships are complicated; especially when they involve people." Sometimes when we fight for our people, we create conflict. Fighting is conflict. I don't like conflict

Lagniappe:

What core concepts initiate your offense? 




Radius Athletics shares the Bucks' spread offense into perimeter shooting. Even with young players incapable of perimeter consistency, the offense illustrates critical concepts. I favor automating options off the spread. 


After isolation, we develop give and go, dribble at backcut, dribble handoff, and ball screens with the middle open.