Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Happiness

"Happiness begins when selfishness ends." - John Wooden

The first two words I say, seven days a week, going out the door, are "Positive Dog" after Jon Gordon's eponymous book. Controlling what I can control begins with regulating my attitude. Why? 



Shawn Achor has done exciting research on happiness, which he discusses above. 

Happiness produces results, not the opposite. 

We can develop a happiness process, which includes writing. 

Last night someone I respect told me that I am doing my coaching all wrong, it's about developing the few, the excellent players, not trying to develop more players. I would never convince this person that I am right. I am pleased to have a process where I am developing people and some will become very good basketball players...in the context of enjoying the game and their teammates.

I'm reading Swen Nater's You Haven't Taught Until They Have Learned: John Wooden's Teaching Principles and Practices. Nater discusses the process that Coach Wooden shared with his players to make everyone their best. 

He discusses the sacrifices required to mold yourself into the role Wooden demanded, which quite possibly differed from high scoring star, in the process of developing successful teams. 

He cited Andre McCarter, a prolific scoring guard who remade his game into shutdown defender at the front of the UCLA press. McCarter played on Wooden's final championship team and was heavily involved in nominating Wooden for the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Wooden may have cost McCarter a fortune in professional salary, but had his admiration and love for his respect and fairness. 

I'm familiar with this role (not the prolific scoring), but the tasks at the front of the 2-2-1. They blend with the culture I promote - teamwork, improvement, and accountability. Which brings me back to constructive criticism of my approach. I'm promoting a process of commitment, discipline, focus, and personal growth. The more that players embrace that process, the higher the likelihood of basketball growth in that context. Selling 'process' embedded within teaching and humanity produces happiness for me. And I firmly believe that creates better people and better players.