Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

John Maxwell Suggests That We Ask Better Questions

In a Soundview "Author Insight" interview, John Maxwell discusses asking better questions, an extension of his book, Good Leaders Ask Great Questions (summary). Here are some notes:

"When leaders ask themselves questions, they're doing what their followers have done for years." 

"I've got to find answers by asking myself questions." 

"Questions are the keys that unlock the doors to our futures." 

"If I ask the right questions...I'll have the right answers." 

"Am I consistent?" This helps us establish whether we are grounded. Real leaders are not constantly surprising people...because people get whiplashed. "Be predictable." 

"First thing leaders must do is lead themselves...values must be backed up by actions and attitude." 


"How can I serve you?" Maxwell emphasizes 'servant leadership'. "I want to add value." 


"I have an open 'ear' policy." An open door policy is less relevant than wanting to listen. 

"To continually lead well...requires consistency and character...that we're loving what we're doing. I have to be a learner...and grow." Maxwell reminds that we lead off the future, not from the past. I'd explain it as you cannot drive your car forward while staring in the rear-view mirror. 

"Trust is the bank account for a leader."

For us coaches, we must regularly ask, "what does my team need now?" A leader must be a learner and leaders must commit to personal and organizational growth.  

We have a bye this weekend and are working 85 percent on shooting this week.