Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Basketball: Fun Actually

Spoiler alert! Tonight I'm on a panel discussion about Making Youth Basketball Fun. Does anyone set out to make youth basketball No Fun?

"Are you going out to practice, Susie?" "No, Daddy, I'm going out to win, to beat the other girls into submission, to exert my will and to make them cry." "That's my girl." 

Here are just a few of the thoughts I've picked up during half a century of basketball.



Be positive. Kids aren't moved by cynicism, sarcasm, or cruelty. "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar," is what Dad always said. 

Before tryouts last season, a little girl came up to me and said, "Hi, Coach. My name is Naomi, and I'm REALLY EXCITED to be here." That's what I'm talking about. 


Bring energy. Driving the bus doesn't entitle anyone to throw kids under the bus. Keep Jon Gordon's rules from The Energy Bus mentally posted. We transfer energy. Princeton coach Pete Carril discussed feeling the joy that radiates from players who enjoy being with each other. He also talked about lightbulbs, players who light up the court with their presence. Be that person and create those players. 

Remember, it's not about you, it's about them. We're either playing basketball or we're working basketball. It's practice, not a chore. Don't punish by conditioning. Condition within drills and scrimmaging. 

Get 'em going. Warmups can be fun with jumping rope, dribble tag (six players within the arc, vary the dribble rules), or capture the flag (movement without the ball). 

They're always listening. Sometimes we wonder whether they're paying attention to our crazy sayings. They are. 


T.I.A. "Teamwork, improvement, accountability." 

Share the game. I hand out laminated materials to players, Coach Wooden's "Pyramid of Success" and Jay Bilas' "Toughness" rules. 


Lauren's Mom told me Lauren carried the "Pyramid" in her gym bag every day in high school en route to being a three-sport captain. 

We're building relationships. I'm joyful at the success of players and anxious for their long-term success. I look forward to seeing Lauren when she graduates from Annapolis this summer. And I hope Victoria gets into the Veterinary School of her choice this spring. You'll see Samantha on television in a couple of years playing Division I ball. You've watched Sheylani in the WNBA. Here's a brief note that I got from Cecilia, a high school freshman averaging 17.5 ppg, 9 rebounds, and 6 blocks after sending her annotated clips. 

"Thanks so much Coach! You know I’m always open to more coaching and your insights are particularly helpful! It’s been fun playing varsity and hopefully my team can get a win under our belts soon!"

"It's not a job, it's an adventure." We make it what we choose. Ten years in the Navy, forty in medicine, and over fifty in basketball teach lessons worth sharing. 


Lagniappe: "Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out." - John Wooden

It won't always go how we planned.