Total Pageviews

Friday, July 20, 2018

Basketball: "Winning Basketball Strategy" Miscellaneous Offense

Glenn Wilkes wrote Winning Basketball Strategy in 1959. I like the book's dedication, "To My Mother for sacrificing so much so that I could play basketball" and "James M. Cowan for so patiently teaching me the game." Sacrifice, patience, and teaching have meant so much over a lifetime in the game. 

I want to share a few of Coach Wilkes' diagrams...



Combat the switching man-to-man defense. 



Tandem post play.



Tap backscreen



Mismatch into the post off the dribble perimeter switch. 

Save some actions for crunch time. When we need to score, do we have BOBs, SLOBs, ATOs, zone offense, and man plays that create unusual advantage for us? Keep a catalog of possibilities and regularly update it. 

With young players, know what they can handle and what they can't. I've had groups where we could call a timeout in overtime and put in a play and score it and others with no "time and space" tolerance. That's life.