Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Stolen Treasures - Shooting

There's no perfect in basketball, even when it comes to shooting the basketball. How we "feel" about shooting technique can change.

Here are some contradictions. Even as an 'old guy', I enjoy warming up a shot, but it's annoying to have very limited range. But as I age, I realize more and more how vital the "lower half" involvement is in the shot as well as keeping the shot compact.



Brian McCormick discusses the role of the lower body in shooting to integrate balance, coordination, and rhythm. 

Conversely, I respect the thoughts Don Sicko shares here. I've seen the shooters that some of these drills produce (especially the turning the arm over technique). 

Generally, in a two-hour practice, we spend at least forty percent on shooting and it's not enough. If I were counting, I'd want every player to get at least 125 shots per practice, ideally more. 

"You're doing it wrong." I don't say that, but everyone should be hearing: 


  • Feet too close together hurts balance
  • Elbows in. When your shooting elbow points out, you are more likely to miss short and to that side. 
  • Is that shot in your range? 
  • Don't bail out (avoid contact) going to the basket. 
  • Shooting hand shoots; guide hand doesn't push. 
  • "It's not your shot, it's our shot."
I wish that I had a picture from last night's scrimmage. Our smallest player made about a 17-foot jump shot from the corner and had a look on her face, "that went in" of something between delight and astonishment. I'll know we're getting there when the excitement fades. Confidence dims surprise.