Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Self-examination When Practice Goes Poorly

I coach sixth grade girls. Practice didn't go as well as I'd like last night. Apply the four pillars to examine what happened. 

What went well? 
What went poorly? 
How can we do better? 
What are the enduring lessons? 

What went well

As usual, the Monday practice plan was heavy on fundamentals, ranging from ball handling, to layups, and shooting. 



The initial phase, up to about 7:56, moved along reasonably well. I brought a weighted (10 pound) medicine ball, because we need to play stronger inside. 

What went poorly


3-on-3 transition with chaser. Coach initiates pass, x1 takes three steps in, then chases 3 on 2 break. Middle leads break, wings run wide, and defenders communicate and "shape up" to defend transition. 

Offensive execution broke down. Wings didn't run wide enough. Middles had poorer passing angles and often struggled with decision-making. Nobody could finish. 

Free throws were better, as groups competed to make the most consecutive free throws (not very many at this point). We had a mini water break and I asked about the energy level at practice. I told them that I am responsible for their energy, but we have many potential leaders to help. They seemed unmoved. 

Shell drill (including passing and cutting or screening) was okay, better than the transition drill. And with two games this weekend, I reviewed zone offense principles and the DR FlaPS acronym:

Dribble into gaps (DRAW TWO)
Reverse the ball
FLash to open spots ("the ball is a camera")
Post up
Screen

I substituted some running drills (including racehorse and 5 on 7 full court press break) instead of half court offense, hoping to increase the energy level. We finished with O-D-O (offense-defense-offense) including playing off free throws, BOBs, and SLOBs.

I briefly introduced LION, a modification of TIGER. 


We don't have all these implemented. 


This can be modified to stack along the inbounder side and use to create FENCE (screen) or SANDWICH (screen).
How can we do better

If we want to be consistent, we need to bring more energy and intensity to every activity, every repetition. 

What is the enduring lesson

I'm coaching young players. Consistency has no meaning at this age and PATIENCE is on me. Having a sense of urgency and yet remaining patient contradicts rationality. 


Morse code (TTP) for Trust the Process. It wasn't all bad. I have to manage my expectations better.