Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Basketball and Life: Makeup Calls and Always Something Extra (Player and Team Development)

Learn across disciplines. 

I watch MasterClass almost every day. I didn't watch Bobbi Brown's makeup class except for the wrap-up. I know nothing about her or makeup but her process has value. Lessons that cross every domain:

  1. "I really care about sharing stories and telling you my journey."
  2. "Anything is possible."
  3. "You have to work hard and keep at it."
  4. "You have to be nice to people."
  5. "Be the first one to jump and say, "I got this.""
  6. Help the person who needs help (someone on the set needs a glass of water or the dog walked). 
  7. People remember
  8. "Be the best person you can be." 
  9. "It takes practice and it takes time to learn techniques." 
  10. "Become a better version of yourself."
Themes recur among experts - commitment, curiosity, discipline, extra work, focus, sacrifice and more. 

Lagniappe. Leave less money on the table. You don't need every move but something reliable for you


Lagniappe 2. Well-done video on traveling interpretation. What matters is what gets called for our player in our game. 


Arguing that it's not a FIBA travel gets us zero in our middle school or high school league. 


Lagniappe 3. Circle Trap. I first saw this as a Shaka Smart drill. Maybe it goes back earlier.