Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Identity

We need an identity as coaches and teams, "this is who we are and this is how we play." 

As a coach, I am an aggregator (of information), educator, innovator, mentor, and motivator. Define and refine. Phil Jackson's "Basketball is sharing" defines purpose. Preparation and practice help refine a process to build successful people. The basketball court serves as a life laboratory, where passion and sharing matter more than talent. 

Coach Bob Starkey with his wonderful HoopThoughs has a couple of great shares from Detroit Pistons practice via Steve Finamore:

Detroit Pistons Practice Part I

Detroit Pistons Practice Part 2

Excerpts:

- Coach Van Gundy has said in the past that attending a clinic should not change your 
overall philosophy.  Beyond clinics, SVG suggested to go out and watch people practice. I 
agree. In the past, I have found attending practices has helped me so much as a coach.


- Coach Van Gundy is one of the best I have ever seen teach the game.  He makes it so 
simple to understand. He’s teaching pro’s why it’s so important to get back on defense.



What are your rules on getting back on defense?

- Lots of energy. Lots of talking. Everyone was involved and engaged and encouraging each other.


- Assistant coach Brendan Malone stopped the action and shouted, “When you catch the ball, look at the rim.”



I love practice. When you watch a practice, pretend you are blind. You should feel the energy, the teaching, the willing sacrifice. Coaches aren't permitted to have a bad practice (I had one this summer when I was ill). Practice separates those who grow their craft from everyone else.