Total Pageviews

Monday, May 23, 2016

This Time Is Different

Every time we step on the court to coach, ask "what do we bring to the team and to the individual players?" Are we adding value, bringing energy, and deserving of buy-in? I believe that we have a constant obligation to earn their respect, their trust, and their loyalty.

Players are entitled to ask, "How are you going to be different than my other coach?"

"Never be a child's last coach." The experience should increase players' interest and knowledge and their desire to improve. If a child abandons a sport because of the quality of the coaching or the personality of the coach, they can still look in the mirror.

"The coach has to bring her 'A' game every day." There's seldom an excuse. I remember one practice last summer when I had nothing. I got home and had a fever over 101 and a developing infection. The players deserved more than I gave that day.

"Players need priorities and emphasis." If you want to have a successful program, you need clarity of culture, philosophy, and identity. "This is who we are. This is how we play." When you played John Thompson's Georgetown Hoyas of the 1980s, you knew exactly what you were going to face.

"Performance-focused, feedback-rich." Everything we do should have a clear purpose and how we do it deserves comment comment and correction. Focus on the details early and demand proper execution. If you learn how to shoot a basketball incorrectly and practice a lot, you will excel at shooting incorrectly.

"Nothing should be lost in translation." I've never seen a player should ten consecutive free throws in a game. If you'll probably never shoot more than five in a row, why practice shooting twenty uninterrrupted? Make every evolution in practice meaningful.

"Make practice hard so games are easy."

"Play is children's work." Practice can accomplish much without drudgery. Practice at a high tempo. Value the players' time. They're away from schoolwork and family. Make it fun.



"Variety truly is the spice of life." If we practice closeouts, run different drills. Get as many players involved as possible. Nobody gets better standing in line. Condition within drills or scrimmages.

"Would I want my child to play for me?" If so, why? In not, why not? Am I the same person every day, or am I moody or brooding, selfish, or withdrawn? Can I teach with clarity and compassion?

"Where are my blindspots? Am I addressing them? We all have need areas. Are we open to the reality of our areas for improvement?