Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 15, 2017

The Breakup Dinner

What belongs in the end-of-season breakup dinner? Many programs have an end of the year celebration/recap of the season. When we reinforce a few principles, so much the better. 

Claiming my way is better is the height of vanity. I only share what I do, don't do, and rationale. Coaches take teams where they cannot go alone. Every day brings learning opportunities. 

Venue. I hold a buffet dinner in my home, inviting parents and siblings. I want basketball to be about family. We provide entrees and beverages and parents bring salads and desserts. I don't serve alcoholic beverages to parents because I don't want children to believe alcohol is central to an enjoyable evening. I'm thinking about booting soft drinks from the menu...

End-of-season awards. Previously, I had player votes for end-of-season recognition, e.g. Best Teammate or Hardest Worker award. This season I didn't feel that an individual award was warranted. The league solicits input for their "All-Star" team. I don't submit names because I don't think that adds value to our middle school program. Does depriving a player or two of recognition outweigh the disappointment of other players not included? I vote no. This year I am providing a memento to players. 

Player appreciation. I recognize each player with comments about her contribution (within the slide show). Everyone values and deserves appreciation. Players should feel positive about their experience. I also ask players to recognize the many "time and treasure" sacrifices of their parents that allows them to participate. 



Slide show. The presentation includes philosophy, a little education, photographs, and reminders that this season represents early phases of basketball development. 



Morse code. TTP...trust the process. 


No sappy video...at least not at this age. 


What do high school players need? 

Forward lookingChallenge players to step up their game to contribute in high school. 


I ask players to reach out if they need a recommendation in the future. You never know where your network might reach or take you.