Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 29, 2017

"Let Me Know"

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression." - Anonymous

My wife and I recently returned to Boston from Atlanta on Southwest Air, "the low cost airline." The plane was a little over half full. 

One steward was particularly gracious and communicative. "Can I get you anything? If you change your mind, let me know." He made a huge impression. I let him know. He answered, "I'm having a good day." 

Service excellence wasn't unexpected; service was clearly his purpose. 

But it made me think, can I work better, communicate better? Three little words showed purpose, personalization, and persistence. "Let me know." 



Patrick Leoncini wrote The Five Dysfunctions of a Team. They apply equally to sport and business. 

Do you trust your teammates? Distrust keeps players from throwing look ahead passes, passing to open players, setting 'thunder screens' and from cutting hard and knowing a pass will come. 

Do you fear conflict? Engage your teammates. "Get back on D" and "know whom you have." 

Commit. Success demands that you care more, prepare more, do the extra sprint, push through the extra lifts, study the playbook, eat right, and get your rest. 

Hold yourself to high standards. Lead at home. The parents of a former player (Kayla Wyland, former League MVP) told me, "she's just as great at home as she is here." Lead in the classroom. "Don't cheat the drill." Be just as engaged on the bench as you are on the court. 

Results mean your BETTER VERSION. Your process defines you. Win the day through consistency and persistence. What's your morning routine? Are you attentive and engaged in the classroom? Have you done your chores right and without complaining at home...your first team? Are you stretched out, physically and mentally ready to go before practice has started? 

"Do the next right thing right" and you'll have no regrets. "Let me know."