Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 26, 2018

"Tell Me More" : Coaching Communication



"Writing is easy. All you do is stare at a blank piece of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead." - Red Smith (via James Patterson)

I've never met a great leader who communicated poorly. But great communication alone doesn't guarantee effective leadership. 

"Tell me more." Three little words mean so much. 

Tell me more says "I'm listening." 

Tell me more leans in.

Tell me more invests both parties. 

Tell me more respects others, "I value and want your thoughts."

Tell me more can dampen conflict. 

Tell me more keeps the conversation moving. 

Tell me more reflects "I don't understand."

Tell me more balances participation. 


Tell me more shares power. 



Tell me more invites deeper explanation, good entry into the Socratic Method. "Tell me more about cutting..."

Lagniappe:

Create a dilemma for the defense (via Chris Oliver)


The basics won't always get the separation you want. Rescreen. 



The initial screen may not connect or the defensive adjustment doesn't yield the look you want. This video goes into my 'short video lessons' file.