Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 21, 2022

A Special Visitor to Coaches (Inspired by Edgar Allen Poe)

Blessed are those receiving special visitors, those who inspire greatness, wisdom, or fear. 

I received one, didn't catch his full name, but I caught Prince...Dark. As many in his profession are, he bore exceptional height, carried a long staff, wore a dark cloak, and heavy boots. He shared snatches of conversation with great coaches, all of whom won championships. 

He offered mentoring for an all too familiar price. He shared a few of his favorite coaching moments. 


 
He declined a bottle of Merlot, explaining his preference for champagne. I accommodated him. He volunteered to share advice and tips.

When Pat Summitt heard that players stayed out late partying, she remembered his advice. "Bring them in early, 6 A.M. and set up barrels at each corner of the court. Run them until those barrels start filling up. Call it 4 Corners." 

I had my notebook out, excited for the opportunity. He added that where he lives, finding good officials is hard. "We don't have a big community of referees, but we have the baddest of the bad, guys and gals who take bribes, that sort of stuff." 

He told me, "The Shark was one of my favorite guys. I ran into him accidentally in a tough neighborhood. He gave a lot of guys a chance they might not have gotten otherwise. I respect that. Haven't seen him in decades."

"Did you know Coach Wooden?" "Absolutely. Met him about '63. You know that 'Don't whine, don't complain, don't make excuses.' I gave his father that. And I warned him about that Sam Gilbert dude."

"Did you ever meet Coach Obradovic?" "Love that guy. I suggested he teach bigs to set some screens back to half court, so they can see the play in front of them. I gave shooting tips to his clubs. How do you think so many guys are 40% from three?"


"Do you have any favorites?" "Well, I think of a couple fondly like Pacino and DeNiro. That would be Ricky P and Coach Cal. I suggested the shooting drill "quarters" to Ricky P and I've know Cal ever since he was at UMASS. He goes to Mass every day. Only the penitent man shall pass."

"What do you think about Geno Auriemma?" "Fantastic restaurant. We go way back, too. I've suggested some great drills and set plays. I even advised UCONN to get a third of their points off sets, a third in transition, and a third on three-point shots. Every coach should know where their points come from and where opponents points arise. But I also believe in Karma."

"Are you going to miss Coach K?" "Miss him? Are you kidding? We're like Goldilocks and porridge. Have you seen their mascot? K used to hammer Cal for "One and Done" and then becomes Coach One and Done. Grayson Allen, My Man. And what about Zion? I gave K the Elbow Series, hehe." 


Duke Elbow Series

I grew ever more riveted by the tall stranger. "Did you know Coach Carril?"

"You mean the guy from USC and the Seahawks?" 

"No, the Princeton rumply guy." 

"Barely met him. But I slipped a suggestion to him about backdoor cuts in an offense. Sneaky and effective." 

"Is there anybody you're afraid of?"

"Please don't tell anyone. He's old, he reads a lot, he's terrifying. George Raveling. He's like Eleven in Stranger Things.

"What do you think about the NCAA?" 

"You can't be serious. I am all IN as in Indianapolis, IN, baby. Get free labor. Haul in bazillions in TV money. NCAA and HELL are both four-letter words." 

"Are you upset about NIL, then?" 

The Stranger replied, "Not at all. Put serious money in young, immature people's pockets. Imagine the havoc that can wreak. I'm practically giddy just thinking about it. The love of money is the root of all evil. Delicious."

"Do you have a claim on all their souls?"

"A gentleman never tells." 

"Thanks for stopping by. Where you headed next?" "Love roundball, but that's not my jazz. Off to Georgia. Politics is where I do my best work. See ya, Doc." 



Lagniappe. Ido Singer shares a wealth of BOBs. 
Lagniappe 2. Choose five qualities for your team leader. 
  • Character
  • Commitment - team-focused, does 'unrequired work'
  • Skill - "possession ender" via scores, stops, boards
  • Relentless - Does. Not. Quit.
  • Charisma - radiates energy and positivity to the team
Lagniappe 3. Learn to play with force against force.