Total Pageviews

Friday, October 6, 2023

Two Outta Three Ain't Bad: Avoid Bad Beats

Thoughtful. Detailed. Eloquent. I wish. 

Set the bar at the right level. Say the right things, the right way, at the right time. Think about bad beats, ours and others. What went wrong? Don't get burned because a player was distracted, didn't listen, didn't hear, or didn't understand. 

Know our audience. Brad Stevens told my wife the rocket scientist, "Basketball is not rocket science." 

Aspire to inspire. Players know our competence and commitment to them. Show them. Greet every player individually by name every day. 

Be specific. "This is who we are. That is what we do, exactly this way." We took four rounds of ten free throws with a partner every practice. We're prepared for crunch time. 

Be clear. "Explain it to me like I'm a sixth grader." 

Be concise. "I can only remember three things. What are they going to be?"

Get feedback. "What did I just say?" Explain it to me. 

Lagniappe. Messaging. 

Lagniappe 2. 

Lagniappe 3.