Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Bill Nye and Basketball Defense Conversion Drill





Why do we need to learn continually? Because "everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't." 

The difference between success and failure can be infinitesimally small. We never know when a decision (or a possession) will have consequences beyond imagination. I was at an intersection in my hometown years ago, waiting to make a left turn over some railroad tracks and up a hill. I had seen some bad driving en route. When the light turned, I didn't go. I had a 'feeling' that someone would run the lights at high speed and cause an accident (hitting me T-bone broadside). About three seconds later, that someone blasted through the intersection and I probably avoided severe injury or death. Luck? Divine intervention? I DON'T KNOW. 


1. Do you coach almost exclusively one defense or mix them up? This is a matter of your personality. Coach Bennett discusses the factors including time and talent. 
2. Are your fundamentals excellent? 
3. Is there a shot clock forcing offensive decision-making? 
4. Does your defense get pressure on perimeter shooters? 
5. What is your rebounding situation? 



1. Make your concepts simple. (Clarity)
2. Transition conversion drill (Demands communication and decision-making)
3. Can be competitive (continuous action with three 'teams')
4. The ball has to be stopped 
5. Good discussion about defensive mechanics
6. We can vary number of players involved if we have fewer...

Three words to remember? I DON'T KNOW.