Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Camp Driveway and a Bonus

Effective doesn't have to be expensive. Okay, you need a hoop and a ball and passion. Passion derives from the Latin 'passionem' meaning suffering. It's work. 

Here's just a partial list of what you can work on in the driveway:

Mikan Drill. As a kid, I wanted to make ten consecutively (from both sides)


Include the 'reverse' Mikan. 


One dribble jump shot. The mid-range game is dead? Don't tell that to the National Champion Villanova Wildcats or Evan Turner. 




ET with a combination move.



ET shows how to get one dribble separation. 


Work on your form. Jerry West taught taking a 'hard dribble' to launch yourself into the shot. 



West didn't become "The Logo" for nothing. 

Work on your free throws. Take 3 (how often do you take more than 3 at a time?) then sprint to the house, street, or halfcourt (if you're at the park) and recover the ball and shoot three more.

Paint 50. I used to stand near the basket, flip the ball over my head, then sprint to catch on the bounce, turn and fire (in the paint). Make 50. 

Emergency shots. Near the end of my 'workout', I'd take about twenty fallaways, step backs, and double pump jump shots that I'd call "emergency shots". I'm sure my coach would have a more colorful, "$hit $hots" moniker. 

My point is that Camp Driveway doesn't cost a lot and makes players. "Repetitions make reputations." 

Bonus: Double Diagonal 

Horns-like action into multiple scoring options.