Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Basketball Words Become Echoes in the Wells of Silence



"Fools" said I,
"You do not know, silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you,
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words like silent raindrops fell,
And echoed
In the wells of silence - Simon and Garfunkel, "Sounds of Silence" 

Every coach drills messages into players. Brett Brown just told his 76ers during a timeout, "Finish plays." OSU football coach Urban Meyer says, "A to B, 4 to 6 (seconds)." Coach K reminds players, "next play." My coach, Sonny Lane taught, "the ball is gold" and "I'm pleased but not satisfied." 

Finding ways to communicate better and get players to talk more both at both ends is a key to finding success. 

There's some evidence that we use "mirror neurons" to activate other's brains during communication, especially nonverbal communication. We need to engage our team's mirror neurons. 

Long after I'm gone and a few of my player become coaches, I hope some of my words become echoes in the wells of silence. 

- "Passing and cutting." 
- "Shots and stops." 
- "Stops make runs."
- "Take care of the ball." 
- "No paint." 
- "Ball pressure." 
- "Sprint don't run." 
- "Energy!" 

What messages are you sending?