Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Defensive Musts

I am a hypocrite. I preach defense, but I'm spending 80 percent of practice time on offense, because we've scored in the teens and nobody can hope to become competitive without scoring. 

When I analyze a game, I want to know where the points were scored and where they were allowed. Yesterday, during warmups we noticed our opposition had a girl who made four treys consecutively. We gave her special attention (no help off her) and held her down (single digits). 

But we didn't play fundamentally sound INDIVIDUAL and TEAM DEFENSE. That's the quiz I'm going to share with players today. 

Kevin Eastman teaches, "KNOW YOUR NOs". We're past the halfway mark and I'm not sure we know. 


NO EASY BASKETS
NO PAINT
NO MIDDLE
NO TRANSITION LAYUPS 
NO UNCONTESTED SHOTS
NO SECOND SHOTS
NO "BAD FOULS" 

Where do these principles arise? Dean Oliver's classic Basketball on Paper shared many key concepts...including success related to field goal percentage differential, rebounding differential, turnovers, and free throws taken. You see how these translate above. 

But what 'nuts and bolts' apply? I reminded players yesterday, good players find ways to attack the basket and keep opponents from attacking. Here are a few: 

"Play out of stance." 
"It's a shouders game; low man wins." 
"Jump to the ball." (Evidently some of my players have not heard that, the hundreds of times I've said it.) 
"The ball scores." (Help is a four-letter word)




COMMUNICATE. Failure allows separation. 



"Deny cuts to the ball." 
"Help and recover." (The help can't get beaten.)
"Close out under control."
"Great help will expose defense to ball reversals." 
"Contest shots without fouling." (Never foul a jump shot.)
"Block out." (Sylvia Hatchell's 'hit and get') 

We may identify talent on offense, but defense reveals competitors.