Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Basketball: Ten Questions to Engage. Seek Solutions. Why Arkansas Should Listen to Petula Clark

Sustainable competitive advantage partly comes from asking better questions. What questions do our players ask themselves? Success in life comes from finding an edge and prosecuting it relentlessly. 

  1. Where do I see myself in five years and what am I doing to get there? 
  2. "What does our team need now?"
  3. How do I improve today?
  4. (After a game or practice) What went well?
  5. What went poorly?
  6. How can I do better next time? 
  7. What is the central lesson to be learned from this? 
  8. Am I accountable or am I blaming others? (Attribution bias)
  9. Am I spending my time or am I investing it?
  10. Am I doing my best? (From Tom Brady's favorite, The Four Agreements)
"If you always do your best, you can never judge yourself. And if you don’t judge yourself you wont suffer from guilt, blame or self-punishment."

Lagniappe. "Every day is player development day." Reverse engineer what high-level players do. Players, find something to gain an edge every day. 


This applies across sports. 


Great video breakdown on the success of Oral Roberts. 


Ball pressure and taking away the pick-and-pop are the keys to containing ORU. "The help can never be beaten" will be critical. ORU and Arkansas know each other well. Anybody remember Petula Clark? If I were the Razorbacks, I'd be playing this song until the players were sick of it.



"Make it stop."