Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 3, 2022

Coaching Mastery Using the Accusations Audit (Life is Negotiation)

Coaching is communication. The accusations audit lets others know that we understand how they feel. 

"I've got bad news." We've all been there, hearing and delivering. We don't have to start with the bad news. Former FBI negotiator Chris Voss explains that introducing "bad news" with an accusation audit can soften the blow of other requests. Limit the emotional pain that's coming. 

"You probably think." 

"You probably think I don't understand how much you've done for the program."

"You probably think I don't appreciate how much player development work you do."

"You probably think I don't know how much you mean to the community." 

"You probably think I don't understand the sacrifices you've made for the game." 

"You probably think I don't recognize the extent of your basketball IQ." 

Some say 60,000 thoughts go through our head daily. Perhaps not enough involve understanding how others think. 


Screenshot from MasterClass

Make a visceral connection. You tell your star player, "I've got bad news. This is probably going to feel like a punch in the gut."  She wonders what she did wrong, if you're quitting, if there's an academic problem. You continue, "I'm asking you to become more of a playmaker because our guards aren't going to be as strong next season." 

She's probably going to say, "oh, I thought it was something terrible." We want enhanced collaboration and trust through the negatives. Voss says, "leave people in a better place than we found them." 

The accusations audit is a useful communication tool to build trust, to collaborate, and show empathy for others. "I appreciate you" has less impact than a series of statements in an accusations audit.