Total Pageviews

Monday, September 23, 2024

Basketball: Improvement Starts Here

Adam Himmelsbach sat down with Brad Stevens.

"I think we need to improve individually. I think everybody is at an age and stage where they can, and I say that with a 38-year-old sixth man [Al Horford] who I watched sit down with [assistant coach] Tony Dobbins at the end of every practice and re-watch film and ask how he can get better and try new things at workouts. When you have a guy like Al setting the tone of, “Hey, I’m not just trying to hang on, I’m trying to improve,” then I think everyone from our 26- and 27-year-olds that are superstars, all the way up and down our roster, they all should be trying to improve."

Ask "how do I add value by learning, teaching better, sharing better?"

There’s always work needed. Distance oneself from complacency and comfort. 

1) Surround yourself with quality people who want to learn, improve, and work. Watch this brief Coach Krzyzewski interview.

2) Find a mentor and workout partners. Everyone benefits from coaching, including elite professionals. It's more efficient and drags teammates into the upper echelon. 

3) Craft your framework for learning - skills, knowledge, athleticism, psychology. Measure progress to show improvement while competing for personal bests. 

4) Allocate and track time; "winners are trackers."

5) Consolidate strengths and lessen weaknesses. 

Lagniappe. Find great exercises. 

Lagniappe 2. Get realistic.  

Lagniappe 3. Have you used this drill?