Total Pageviews

Friday, January 8, 2016

Ranger School

from Ranger Bagley in No Excuses Leadership: lessons from the US Army's Elite Rangers

"I learned that there is always something left. When I got to the point where reason said I couldn't continue, there was always something left. Whether it was a friend who picked me up or a twist of good luck, I could always reach down and find a reason to move forward. I always picked up my ruck and walked on. It was amazing to learn how far I could push myself, how far down I could go and still function, and what teamwork meant. To me, that was the essence of Ranger School. I learned how a team helps you as an individual succeed and how you as an individual help the team succeed. I thought all of the guys in my squad were good leaders whenever they took the ground because they worked and the team worked."

This week we reviewed or covered breaking the half court trap, zone offense, the delay game, end-of-game full court situation, and had situational scrimmages (offense-defense-offense). It wasn't perfect but the team worked. 

But I thought I shared a more important message during a break. In the state sectional semifinal a lifetime ago, we faced a 22-0 team with a player who was a future NBA draft choice and five players who (allegedly) played D1 college basketball. We trailed 26-12 in the old Boston Garden. Somehow, we scored the next 23 points and held that juggernaut scoreless for 8:53 and won 47-41. The message? "Believe in yourselves. Keep on going. Never...never give up." There is always something left.