Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 13, 2016

"Pumped and Jacked": Action from the SFA Lumberjacks via Wes Kosel

Recently, the indefatigable Wes Kosel sent me some sets from the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks as I asked him about playing as a very small team. In addition to providing substance, sharing also suggests 'spinoffs' or modifications to existing plays. 

I like running out of horns, 1-4 sets, and occasionally 2 guard fronts because I don't have a strong post presence, but my 5s are all pretty mobile. Against the few teams that play man-to-man (individual assignment) defense, I want to move the opposition away from the hoop. 

I've modified what I'd call the SFA "Slice" concept and offer this:


It begins with a two-guard front and a wing entry. 4 slices to the corner and 5 and 1 set a staggered screen providing basket cut or 3 point option for 3 (right). In a way, it almost replicates a modified "horns" look. This can set up off-ball screen action on either or both sides of the floor. 

If 5 sets a backscreen, 5 gets a "lob" possibility, 5 could screen for 1 (and roll as the second cutter if there's a switch), or could "slip" into a basket cut. Conversely, because I have an abundance of left-handed 3s, 3 also has 1-on-1 actions. 

One of the 'mysteries' of the summer is the development (or not) of players, as they divide their time among vacation, other sports (we have girls playing soccer, rugby, and softball), and basketball. Watching players mature and grow their game never gets old.