Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Fast Five: What Teaching Girls' (Basketball) Teaches Me

Paraphrasing Brad Stevens, I repeat, "coaches get more from the kids than we give."

The players teach us. Here are a few lessons I've learned. 

Presume they don't know. Three quick examples. A championship game was lost because a brilliant student didn't follow the game plan. 



I know it was taught, I saw it on the game plan (handout). The defense called for doubling the 6'2" post and rotating to cover the block. 3 got three layups because of failed rotations. "The help can never be beaten." As long as I breathe, I will never double the post with another big. 



Second, we practiced against the half-court trap this week. God and parents as my witnesses, I reviewed it before the game yesterday. Specifically, "when life crawled out of the primordial soup in (team name), the first thing it did was run the half court trap". Okay, so they don't know biology in eighth grade. But I have reviewed this simple press break at least ten times this season. After a time out, the opponent shows it, I yell out "half court press break" and my team falls deaf. They score twice off it and I have to burn a timeout. 



Third, they say the NBA is about "makes and misses." Yesterday, I remind the girls "it's about shots and stops." Blank stares. I ask, "does anyone know what a stop is?" Crickets. A stop means not allowing your opponent to score. I rest my case. Check, double check, triple check. It won't be enough. We teach a foreign language. 

Have your absolutes. I'll discuss anything...except playing time or another player on the team. If you want to get on the floor more, ask "what must I improve to earn more opportunity?" Casting negatives on teammates is unacceptable. Take care of your business. Control what you can control. Work your craft. 

Know the big picture. Four players were absent yesterday (one for a half). Two had family events and two had lacrosse tryouts. Yes, I think it's rude to have tryouts during another season, but I've been guilty of that, too (during weeknights). 

The priorities are always FAMILY, SCHOOL, and BASKETBALL. These are kids. I'm their basketball teacher, not a dictator. 

SPIT is the acronym I use for the process of (vision) SEE the game, PLAY (learn how to play), and INDIVIDUAL TECHNIQUE. Technique beats tactics. 


Add value. Basketball lessons should translate as life lessons. Have a process. Prepare. Work hard ("the magic is in the work"). Be a good teammate. Show sportsmanship. Respect the game. Emphasize your strengths. Invest your time, don't spend it. "Chop wood and carry water." Respect your parents. Care. 

"Never be a child's last coach." Failing organizations have shared domains - leadership turnover, product 'style drift', and excessive debt. Be demanding without being demeaning. If you have to correct or discipline a child, always do it with another adult present. I've seen some outstanding coaches; all treated players fairly. Absent fairness and respect, coaching becomes autocracy. Model excellence. As Aristotle said, "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."