Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 29, 2018

Basketball: Christmas Break, Individual Skills Workout

EXCELLENCE IS ACTUALLY MUNDANE
"Excellence is accomplished through deliberate actions, ordinary in themselves, performed consistently and carefully, made into habits, compounded together, added up over time." - Anson Dorrance, The Vision of a Champion
When extra practice presents itself, players have opportunity, not obligation, to polish their craft. So I drafted a template for that, presuming low availability. The ideal is having at least a shooter and a rebounder (or defender) as the situation requires. 



Our center has gifts including length and athleticism. But her defining quality is relentlessness, will to show up and push through. My vision sees an "inside 2" who succeeds from all three levels (post-up, midrange, perimeter), can take you off the dribble, rebound, and demands "draw 2" attention from the opening tap. I can't know for sure whether she'll be able to defend college 2s.  

I can envision her playing in the Ivies if she and her family want an elite education and a basketball experience.  

She's rapidly getting to the point where she needs higher level instruction than I can provide. I can't see the future, but I know somebody's going to get a heck of a student, a competitor, a leader, a basketball player.