Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 6, 2020

Basketball: Catalog of BOBs from a Recent Game (Simple is Powerful)

Writing every day, I have to reintroduce myself and (stolen) ideas again and again. And I have to lose the bad ones (kill your darlings). "Show me something that worked." 

Remember, "do more of what works and less of what doesn't." We spend 15 percent of every practice on special situations (we need more practice time). 

At a recent high school game, I saw teams run many variations of box inbounds plays. Astonishingly, most created quality chances. Simple is powerful.


Jeff Goodby, MasterClass 

Cross-screens



I am always shocked that this works. Teams don't expect simple

Screen-the-screener



Most teams don't defend screen-the-screener plays well. Remember, "bigs away come back into play." Copyright that. 


America's play - "Everyone runs (a version of) it." 



Off-ball screen to near corner plus stack (below). 



Not a "true" box but creates two strong options. If I were playing, I'd fight to be '3' with an open shot most times. 

Diagonal Roll



Off-ball screen to far corner. 



Very simple. Very open

"Triangle Thunder variation" with bigs screen 



This variation builds more distraction for the guards and momentum cutting. 

Lagniappe: Old stuff never goes out of style, when it works...can be used as stand-alone or ATO actions. 



When stuff doesn't work, it's usually not poor design, but lazy cutting. Have the right personnel excel at basic actions.