Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 22, 2020

Basketball: The Russell Rules


Younger fans have heard of Bill Russell but fewer know the details - 11 NBA Championships in 13 years, 2 NCAA titles at USF, and an Olympic Gold Medal, 14 titles in 15 years. 

Russell was also an elite high jumper as was Wilt Chamberlain. Russell cleared 6' 9 1/4" and was ranked second in the US and 7th in the world in 1956. This was during the scissor-kick technique, supplanted by Dick Fosbury's "flop."

Here are a few quotes from The Russell Rules. 

"A great team is like a five-pointed star; each game, another player can be the reason for victory." - Bill Bradley 

John Wooden called...me "the most important college player and pro player of all time."

"I don't believe there was better basketball player and human being than the man I called Norman (his middle name)." (Wilt)

"...basketball court was a place where I could bring my thoughts and my understanding of psychology, physiology, mathematics, and most important, human values." 

"On those rings are two words - teamwork and pride."

"We tried to win games one quarter at a time." 

"...the most important part of winning is joy." 

"All winning streaks begin with a single victory."

"...Basketball is what I do, it's not who I am." 

"Rule One: Good questions are more important than easy answers."

"Rule Two: Curiosity is a process." 

"Rule Three: Curiosity should always be challenging and always solidify a sense of commitment." "How does this work?" "What do I do?" "What happens next?"

Lagniappe: As a child, Russell studied Leonardo and Michelangelo paintings. He noted the detail and tried to draw them from understanding. 

A BOB from "Twitter Bob" reminds me of what I tell the kids, "Bigs away come back into play." 

Lagniappe 2: Coming soon to an NBA city near you. Passing is beautiful. 

Lagniappe 3: Watch video every day. The Heat 2-3 zone is not invincible.