Total Pageviews

Friday, September 17, 2021

Basketball Friday: Value Assistants' Opinions, Plus a Drill, Set Plays, and Lessons from Stoicism

Pay attention to assistants. Journalist Bob Woodward discusses interviewing General Vona for The Commanders. Woodward felt that he had exhausted the general and sought out staff members. He engaged a young major named David Petraeus. He found Petraeus (later a General and CIA director) interesting and intelligent. 

Woodward informs us that relationships with assistants gives us unique insight and the added benefit that they sometimes become the leader

If we surround ourselves with "Yes Men" we lose opposing viewpoints and experience. Erik Spoelstra called this "collaborative disagreement." We're entitled to disagree and to give our rationale. 

Decades ago I was in an organization where nursing salary was being discussed. The consensus was that a 10% raise over three years was fair. I countered that other area hospitals were offering 10% annually for three years, forecasting key staff defections. Leadership dismissed my opinion. I vacated that position because my contribution wasn't wanted. Nurses walked for better pay. 

Alfred P Sloan Jr is reported to have said at meeting of one of the GM top committees, “Gentlemen, I take it we are all in complete agreement on the decision here.” Everyone around the table nodded assent. “Then,” continued Sloan, “I propose we postpone further discussion of this matter until our next meeting to give ourselves time to develop disagreement and perhaps gain some understanding of what the decision is all about.”

When an assistant says, "have you thought about doing ______?", I might answer, "that's an interesting idea, let me think about it," even if I am skeptical (e.g. too complex for our age group) because I want the assistant to feel respected and valued

Drill. 2-on-2 after Coach Pass


Attack the defense. Find edges by cutting or driving it urgently. 

Set Plays. Make back cuts core actions. 


Take advantage of aggressive defense with back cuts. 

Lagniappe (something extra). Self-improvement betters us and our teams. 


"Did I always give my best?" Our best won't always be good enough but our best limits regrets.