Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 30, 2021

Tryout Stories

Tryouts are coming. Present your best version. Leave an impression. 

To start tryouts, I often line the seated girls up on the baseline and say, "I need a volunteer..." Some hands go up. I tell them that's not enough. "When you hear the coach say, "volun-" pop up like you were shot out of a cannon. Leave an impression." Maybe this job's not for you...but the next one...

Stand out. Years ago at tryouts a tall girl (Randi with an i) showed up wearing bright rainbow socks. She stood out. She also made the team. 


Samuel L. Jackson tried out for a part in My Cousin Vinny. He was asked to read seven words, "
Mud, you got mud on your tires." How many ways can you say that? Jackson reminds the ambitious, "Be off book." Know your lines cold...know the plays, your responsibility, and your teammates'. When you get the part, you'll have a chance to improvise. 


As an assistant, I got to pick the 12th player. I saw a stunningly athletic girl, Sydney, who wasn't skilled. But I saw something. As an eighth grader she was one of our top two players, a great finisher around the rim with either hand. She also played on our high school state championship volleyball team. Now she has a master's degree in education. Fly around at tryouts

I think some girls get the script before tryouts. Just before tryouts started, a little girl approached me. "Hi, Coach. My name is Naomi and I am really excited to be here." She made the team (I ran the tryouts and have a small voice in selections.) First time a player had ever done that. Be memorable. She left an impression. 

Summary: 

  • Present your best version.
  • Pop up as though you were shot out of a cannon. 
  • Be off book (know your lines). 
  • Fly around at tryouts
  • Be memorable. 
  • Leave an impression. 

Lagniappe. The secrets coaches reveal.