Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 31, 2022

Basketball: Battier and Coach K Discuss "Next Play"

Coach K's MasterClass covers a lot of territory. His conversation with Shane Battier reveals a key concept, "Next play." That allows us to stay relevant, regardless of our phase of life. 

My notes from Chapter 10


Battier emphasizes a need for vulnerability. We don't always have the answer. "I don't know" and "what's the right answer?" If we are around people we trust, we can be vulnerable.

When someone says, "I know it all. I have all the answers," immediately distrust their honesty and trustworthiness. We know better. 

When I taught medicine to students and nurses, I explained two of the best answers:

"I don't know." That prompts us to find someone who does ("look for the helpers"), to look it up, and to confront our limitations. It reminded me of the 'five answers' plebes learn at Annapolis:
  • "Yes, sir."
  • "No, sir."
  • "Aye, aye, sir."
  • "Right away, sir."
  • "I don't know but I'll find out, sir." 
"That's a good idea, we should do that." Situations are not always clear or binary, heads or tails, black or white.

"Next play" reminds us to refocus, energize ourselves and teammates, and shut out distractions. The answers aren't in the stands with family, classmates, or girlfriend.

"Next play" implies the importance of execution, "win this possession." Each play "process impacts results." 

"Next play" tells players, "concentrate on the game not the officials." 

"Next play" demands that we trust teammates and that we be a reliable teammate. 

"Next play" requires that "we do what is right, for the right reasons, right now."

Summary on NEXT PLAY: 
  • Be vulnerable among trusted coworkers.
  • "I don't know but I'll find out." 
  • Refocus, energize self and teammates.
  • "Win this possession."
  • Focus on the game not the officials. 
  • Be a reliable, trusted teammate.
  • Live integrity, doing the right thing at all times. 
Lagniappe (something extra). 1-4 high (four across) into elevator screen 3. Apply it as horns. 



This would easily transfer to a SLOB. Put 3 as the inbounder and have 1 come off of a zipper cut to get the ball in. Then, initiate the action and have 3 come around and through the elevator doors. 

Lagniappe 2. Teach players to learn what they don't know and revise.