Total Pageviews

Monday, February 6, 2023

The Attributes of a Great Basketball Coach

I read this article online and share its message about "top five attributes of a great basketball coach." I've organized it slightly differently: 

1. Competence (know the game).

2. Connection (relate to players)

3. Communication (talk with players)

4. Development (teach the game and improve players)

5. Energy (energize the group) 

The concepts reminded me of Jon Gordon and Mike Smith's You Win in the Locker Room First.


What coaches come to mind when I think of these attributes? My picks need not relate to your choices. I'm not saying they're right or my favorites, just 'associations'. And they omit great coaches like John McLendon, Tara VanDerveer, Phog Allen, Roy Williams, Bob Hurley, legendary NBA coaches, Jim Crutchfield, and everyone else. 

Competence (Knowledge)

  • Pete Newell
  • Bob Knight
  • Don Meyer 

Connection

  • Dean Smith
  • John Thompson
  • Jerry Tarkanian

Communication

  • John Wooden
  • Pat Summitt
  • Pete Carril
Development
  • Dave Smart
  • Mike Krzyzewski
  • Bob Knight
Energy
  • Geno Auriemma
  • Shaka Smart
  • Al McGuire
Lagniappe. Jim Crutchfield offensive actions. 

Lagniappe 2. Study greatness. Kyrie broken down, starts, stops, the incredible handle. Change of pace is huge.