Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Feet to the Fire: "What Are You Doing to Make Teammates Better?"

Many coaches have exit interviews with players to inform them of strengths, areas of need, and to get feedback. Hard conversations demand multiple adults be present. Nobody needs accusations of "Coach demeaned me" or "Coach doesn't support me."

Not every player "gets it," so include the question, "what are you doing to make teammates better?" Don't be the player about whom the coach says privately, "she's great from the neck down." 

The interview isn't a hatchet job but a serious conversation which can be buttressed by data or video if needed. 

This isn't designed to be comprehensive, but a springboard, a platform of ideas. Remember the Popovich quote, "get over yourself." 

We can start with "what does making teammates better mean for you?" Here are just a few possible player answers:

1. "I am an unselfish, willing passer." 

2. "I take care of the basketball to give the team better possessions." 

3. "I prioritize spacing to give teammates room to operate." 

4. "I move without the ball to give teammates options." 

5. "I live the Jay Bilas principle, "It's not your shot, it's our shot." 

6. "I sprint back fully engaged in transition looking to stop the ball or protect the basket, whichever is needed." 

7. "I play team defense because "the ball scores" not just my cover." 

8. "I contest shots without fouling." 

9. "On loose balls, I'm first to the floor to give us more possessions." 

10."When I'm on the bench, I'm in the game, supporting teammates." 

11."I bring energy to the court and energize teammates both in practice and during the games."

12."I am never a distraction because my behavior and choices impact the team."

Lagniappe. Shooting drills from Coach DeMarco's site with guest Demetrius Ware.