Total Pageviews

Monday, August 26, 2024

Basketball: Quick Draw

 

Everyone sees value in a quicker release, being "shot ready" or whatever your terminology. 

What ways do you teach it? 

Here are a few ideas for quickening your release. 

1) As a kid, I'd face the basket, flip the ball backwards and catch on the bounce, turn, and target and shoot as quickly as possible. 

2) I would stand behind and to the side of a step ladder with a tennis racket taped to it. I'd fake and take a one dribble pullup behind the step ladder "defender." 

3) I'd close my eyes and take a jab or crossover step into a one dribble pullup, opening my eyes when I had caught the ball. Instant target and quick shooting were the goals. 

4) Quick draw. With the ball at a player's chest, slam it down, catch and shoot. The drill requires focus, soft hands, and encourages a quicker release. 

5) Have an imaginary 15 foot circle from the basket. A 'defender' and attacker stand three feet a part, flipping the ball to each other while shuffling either left or right. The shooter decides when to attack with a one-dribble pullup versus the defender. 

6) Play one-on-one, but with a maximum of two dribble attacks after the 'check'. 

Lagniappe. Iverson Spain.  

Lagniappe 2. High post entry into Zoom action.  

Lagniappe 3.  Creating a learning culture (Hat Tip: Brook Kohlheim).