Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Fast Five: Setting Screens

The core of excellent offense includes spacing, cutting, passing, and screening. Coaches have a tendency to prefer a screen-based system or a dribble-drive and pass system depending on talent and personal experience. 

The players I have and my preference favor a screen-based offense. Of course, sometimes what happens doesn't go as I envision it. 




  1. The screener has to know some of the Six Honest Serving Men: when, where, and how? I want screeners to headhunt (screen the body, not foul) not screen an area. 
  2. Use misdirection. I want screeners (like cutters) to set up the screen with an angled screen to limit the communication and time that defenders have to communicate and react. 
  3. Screening is an opportunity, not an obligation. "The screener is the second cutter." The screener is often more open than the cutter. 
  4. Sprint into the screen. This also limits defensive response time. 
  5. Protect yourself and don't foul. I encourage players to grab their wrist with their dominant hand which helps lock the arms in (it's not perfect).