Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Learning to Fly



One theme I promoted for our team this year was "Learn to Fly." I wanted our team to practice and play at a high tempo, to use our depth and athleticism as our chief strategy to "wear down" our opposition. 

This was not universally popular as it meant a system where playing time would be divided more equally. Perhaps this is unfair to the more advanced players, but I chose what I believed was best for the team. 

All of which brings me to a few quotes from Coach Wooden. "Nobody is bigger than the team." If we add value to the team, then everyone benefits. And if players feel that they are more "deserving", then how can they truly feel totally one with the team? TEAM FIRST must be your core belief as both player and coach. 

When my friend Ralph and I had the privilege of watching the UCONN women practice, we saw them run two laps after stretching. Not one player cut a corner. Nobody. That's how you win three consecutive National Championships. "Discipline yourself and others won't have to." Whether performing home chores, completing homework with relentless focus, or practicing as your best version, your decisions determine your destiny. 

We have a limited amount of practices. Under the best circumstances, we get a pair of two-hour sessions. Those fly by for me. The girls willingly practiced at a high tempo throughout the year and played harder than any other team I have coached. "Nothing works unless you do." Process and persistence define you. As a player or coach, you should want an identity. I want every person that watches us practice or play to know "that team battles." 

Nobody celebrates the most common type of injury, head injury from patting yourself on the back too hard. It's our obligation to make ourselves into a better version. Accept that challenge and enjoy peace of mind. 


Coach Brad Stevens recommends coaching be "warm and demanding."