Total Pageviews

Friday, December 8, 2017

Homework and the Five Guys

"Did you outwork the 'five guys'?" - Julian Edelman's father 

Adam Schefter interviewed Julian Edelman, recovering from knee surgery. Edelman said that his father asked about the five guys. "Did you outwork the 'five guys'...the ones that are trying to take your job?"

We all have homework, taking care of business. Take care of the details necessary to succeed today, tomorrow, and the future. As a physician, I regularly ask young people if they are doing today what is needed to succeed in their choices over the next five to ten years. It applies equally to me. 

I ask myself, "what am I doing TODAY" to improve? If I answer honestly, then fairness allows us to ask the same of our players and our teams. What homework are we doing? 

What am I reading? Working through Seeking Knowledge: From Darwin to Munger.


Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin To Munger. Peter Bevelin begins his fascinating book with Confucius' great wisdom: "A man who has committed a mistake and doesn't correct it, is committing another mistake." - Goodreads.com

What am I eating? Fewer calories, less meat, and "eat the rainbow" (more fruits and vegetables). 

Did I exercise? Did stretching and need to do more walking. 

Did I practice mindfulness? I've missed about two days in almost three months ("make it an indulgence, not a chore" and "Breathe as though your life depended on it.")

Basketball knowledge: a site worth bookmarking...www.Coachmeyer.com 

Excerpts:

4 Things To Do To Build A Team: 
1) Shared Ownership 
2) Shared Suffering 
3) Individual Responsibility 
4) Collective Pride

Greatness Defined:

“Greatness is not about someone who has the ability to be great…Greatness shows up when someone might not have the ability but finds a way to succeed. They outwork their opponents, they outhit their opponents, they outfight their opponents. They want it more. Don’t give me the guy who’s supposed to be all-world and you’ve got to try and talk him into something. Give me the guy who has maybe just enough talent to be on the field but thinks he’s great, and who’s willing to do whatever he can do to contribute, to make the team better. That’s what I want…” – Mike Singletary