Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Basketball: Q & A for Teams and Players

"This is who we are and that is who we are not." Teams establish their identity with help from mentoring and training. When a player strayed toward selfishness, my daughters' AAU Coach, Shawanda Brown, would simply remind her, "that is not how WE play." 

Asking better questions affirms our identity. 

After practice, games, tournaments, or seasons, ask: 

- What went well?
- What went poorly?
- How can I do better? 
- What are the enduring lessons? 

During the offseason, ask:

- What is my plan to wear down our opponents?
- How can I leverage my strengths and lessen my weaknesses? 
- How can I share better?
- How can I become physically and mentally tougher? 

In Getting to Us, Seth Davis explains Tom Izzo's football mentality, that defense and rebounding are the blocking and tackling of basketball. But if we don't have the people to play that style, that's the wrong answer. That doesn't mean we don't defend and rebound but it can't be our primary focus. 

The historical core of warfare is infantry, cavalry, and artillery. Basketball is no different. The infantry pounds the ball inside. The cavalry leverages team speed. Long-range shooting supports both. Few teams excel at all, so every team identifies its principal edge and style of play. 

John Miller's QBQ (Question Before the Question) demands better questions. If we use "when" it implies procrastination. Using "I" means that it's MY problem, not someone else's. Miller says, Begin with "What" or "How" (not "Why," "When," or Who"). This contrasts with Simon Sinek's "Begin with Why?" 

Responding better questions forces specifics. "I need to get better" is an empty promise. Urban Meyer uses an equation    E + R = O   Event plus response equals outcome. Find a better response, play by play, minute by minute, day by day. 

WHAT? I need proper, repeatable shooting form. 

HOW? I will make two hundred jump shots and one hundred free throws TODAY. I will find a teammate to practice with me. This addresses my needs and sharing. 

There is no WHEN. NOW. 

Lagniappe: 


"A good day is filled with knowledge, understanding, and sharing." - George Raveling

Coach George Raveling combines a lifetime of experience, overcoming hardship, and achievement with relentless sharing. Read his newsletters here. Coach Raveling encourages us to serve not to take.