Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 8, 2020

Basketball: Farewell Letter to Our Team

Dear Team Members,


Most playoffs end with a loss. Ours was no different. We advanced farther in the playoffs than we had before. Never let one game define you.  

As Brad Stevens says, "We coaches get more than we give." Thank you for your sacrifices and effort over the past three seasons. As time passes, may your fond memories stay good and bad ones fade quickly. As I told you a few days ago, "our tears will soften defeats and our laughter will sweeten our victories.

My grandmother sent a birthday card when I was your age with this William Blake poem that I felt appropriate to share after the game last night: 


"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heav'n in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour." 

Dream big and work bigger to achieve your family, academic, and athletic goals. I will always be a fan and look forward to celebrating your future successes. 

Thank your family for their support and willing sacrifice. However proud I am of you pales in comparison with their pride and joy in watching you play. Be as special for them and to your peers as they have been for you. 

Your best moments lie ahead of you. Please let me know how I can help at any time with a letter, a recommendation, a phone call. 

Legendary football coach Amos Alonzo Stagg said this when asked about his team, "Ask me in twenty years; I'll be able to give you a better answer." I'm greedy enough to hope to provide that answer. 


Sincerely yours,

Ron 

Lagniappe: "Tiger" got us an easy hoop last night.