Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Basketball: Players, "Empower Yourselves with the Message"



Players empower themselves with their plan, their preparation, and their commitment. Some have an alternative agenda. Action reveals ethos. 

James Kerr's slide imagines our perfect world. Player thoughts unsaid often define us. 

"Of course, I'm shooting." Have you earned the right to shoot? 

"I don't pass." "The quality of the pass determines the quality of the shot."

"I'll dribble when I want." Dribble, like everything else, with purpose.

"I don't cover." "Shooters shoot, passer pass, everyone plays defense." - Bob Knight

"It's my turn." There is no my turn. 

"I don't feel like moving." Stand if you want to sit. 

"Make me." Play for the girls next to you.

"I communicate on defense when the mood hits me." "Silent teams lose." 

"Why should I worry about my teammates' feelings?" Give respect to get respect.

"I don't dive on the floor." "Give the coach a reason to keep you on the court."

"Block out? Seriously?" "The game honors toughness."

"Sprinting back is for track." Basketball is not a running game; it's a sprinting game."

"Don't sweat the small stuff." "The details define us."



Players don't verbalize these attitudes. But we've all seen them. Empowered players bring the coach's program to the hardwood. 



Lagniappe: backdoor and basket cuts, things of beauty
SLOBTASTIC 
Pick-and-roll stopped. Basket cut wins.