Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 17, 2022

Seizing Opportunity with First Impressions; "Be Your Best Self."

“You never get a second chance to make a first impression.” 

"Human beings are built to size each other up quickly." Years ago I met a young man who was dating my daughter. Within five minutes, I told my wife that I thought there was something "very wrong" with this person. I don't know what it was. He's serving a long-term sexual assault prison sentence. 

Impressions are verbal and nonverbal. Posture, clothing, facial expressions, speech content and tone all contribute to initial assessments. 

A podcaster noted that during camps, he noticed a young player volume shooting half-an-hour before others arrived. The player? Stephen Curry. Coaches notice difference makers

Shortly before tryouts, a sixth-grader came up to me saying, "Hi, my name is Naomi. I'm really excited to be here." She made the team. 

Before tryouts, I sit players along the baseline. Then, I say, "I need a volunteer." Some hands go up. "Ladies, you can do better. When you hear, "vol", jump up like you're shot out of a cannon. Leave an impression." 

"Be your best self."

  • Look the part. Be attentive, enthusiastic, energetic. Sometimes a flashy T-shirt or socks stand out. 
  • Prepare for the role. Be ready for opportunity, the understudy who gets a shot to star. Displace Wally Pipp. 
  • Impact the game. Celtics' second round choice has a long hill to climb. But he understands the value of the simple play, to fall in love with easy. 

Boost your chance of success by managing impressions. 

  • Make and hold eye contact. 
  • Stand up straight but not rigidly. Don't slouch. 
  • Have a firm handshake.
  • Demonstrate listening. 
  • Ask for explanations if needed.  
  • Be likable without being a sycophant (brown nose). 
  • Be confident but not arrogant. Be engaged not cool. 

Lagniappe. Vision - decision - execution. This video explores Chris Paul's reads and decision making. Obviously, the film view is more expansive than Paul's up close/in motion view. 


Lagniappe 2. Study the footwork and actions to create separation.