Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 30, 2023

Basketball: Adding Value

Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” - Benjamin Franklin

Adding value is a concept across sport, education, business, and life. Add value to get buy-in, trust, and loyalty. 

Dismiss the big lie of 'self-made man' theory. "I came up from nothing. I had nobody, no money, no resources, nothing." Professor Cornel West says it well, "born into the world, our first expression is a cry for help." 

Share lessons from each collaboration. We add value across multiple dimensions. Be specific. 

Community

  • "It takes a village to raise a child." - African Proverb
  • Community is a vital part of Servant Leadership
  • "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." - John F. Kennedy, inauguration 1961    
Action: How do we engage better with our community? 

Administration (Athletic Department)

  • The best way to get respect is to give it. 
  • Anticipate when and how our decisions will create waves.
  • Choose collaboration over confrontation. That doesn't mean there won't be "walk away" issues.
Action: Cultivate great relationships with the AD.

Coaches

  • Professional development of assistants is also part of the job.
  • Development includes education, delegation, and soliciting their input.
  • We are sales people. Obsess the product. "Make it. Sell it. Build brand awareness." 
Action: How does my action impact assistants?

Players

  • How does it feel to be coached by me? "Never be a child's last coach."
  • Everyone gets coaching, "caring and challenging." Brad Stevens says to be "warm and demanding." (Radical Candor of Kim Scott)
  • Give and get feedback. Remember to be "performance-focused, feedback-rich" to create advantage.
Action: Be relationship-oriented AND task-oriented. 

Parents

  • Remember the "Prime Directive" that nobody advocates for a child more than parents. Their chief concern is almost universally the well-being of their child over the good of the team. 
  • Be mindful of "The Triad." Parents are concerned about minutes, roles, and recognition. That makes them human, not bad. 
  • Consider "The Empty Chair" concept of Dan Pink. Be aware that in our 'directors' meeting' there is an empty chair for our customers. 
Action: Be mindful that hard conversations are inevitable because of economics - the deployment of limited resources. 

Lagniappe. Saban's two questions. 


1. Will I do what I must do to be my best? "Can you make yourself do it?"
2. Will I avoid doing what I shouldn't be doing? "Can you keep yourself from it?"