Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Basketball: The Balancing Act

Seek balance. Extremes are just that - extreme.

Coach Geno Auriemma (from MasterClass) 


"The idea is to be critical of someone's actions without them thinking that you're being critical of them as a person. So you saying to someone, "That's a lousy shot, that doesn't mean you're a lousy shooter." 

"That doesn't mean you're a lousy human being. That doesn't mean anything other than that was a lousy shot. And when they know, well, there's a reason Coach Auriemma said that, that is because he wants me to make that shot, and if I keep taking lousy shots, I'm not going to make it." 

"So I have had to already have a relationship with them that they know why I'm saying it, that I'm not being critical, I'm actually being helpful

"If you want to be honest and truthful with your people that you work with, one, make sure that you know them, they know you, they know it's coming from a good place, and that they know the only reason they would say this to me is because they want me to be better. But I think the number one thing you can do with a player, an employee, maybe is to say to them I understand."

"Sometimes that's all you have to say. Listen I understand what you're going through. I understand that this is hard...let's figure out how to fix it."

Lagniappe. "We make our habits and our habits make us." Thread on "Atomic Habits." (Click on the picture)

Lagniappe 2. "Every day is player development day."