Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 27, 2023

What Makes Bad Basketball? Invert and Have a Conversation with your Coach

We've all seen 'bad basketball' from our teams and others. When players know what bad is, maybe they can apply the mental model of inversion and turn it around.

Imagine a conversation with your coach about the problem.

"Coach, I'm frustrated. We're not playing good basketball." 

<What would 'good basketball' look like to you?>

"Offensively, that means spacing, urgent cutting, on-time, on-target passing, and consistent finishing."

<Have you ever actually said that to your players? What about defense?>

"On defense, pressure the ball, deny penetration, contest shots without fouling, and finish the play with a rebound." 

<Tell me your top three problems.>

"Intensity, accountability, teamwork."

<Give me some examples.>

"We're not good enough in defensive transition. We turn the ball over too much. We don't talk enough." 

<"Silent teams lose." Do you emphasize talk in practice?>

"Not enough I guess." 

<Do the kids really know what you want?>

"You're asking whether I'm giving and getting enough feedback." 

<You remember what I'd say, "I'm pleased but I'm not satisfied.">

"Or that's 'shitbird defense'." (Both laugh) So you're telling me, I own this."

<The coach always owns it. Where can your intensity go up?>

"We're usually first to the floor, which is good. Our ball pressure and containing cutters isn't good enough."

<"Get on 'em.">

"You got that right. No 'dead man's defense' - six feet under." 

<If I watched your team, can I see the 'intent'? When you played, it was 'run and jump' or '83' (2-2-1 three-quarter court). We didn't trick anybody.>

"Our pressure defense isn't good. Our guards get exposed extending the defense." 

<That's rough.>

"What analytics did you look at?" 

<My top two were assists and rebounds. Your team didn't turn the ball over. And of course, we kept shot charts.>

"Any other key thoughts?"

<You guys were unselfish. Your team played harder for longer. And you guys wanted to win.>

"After talking with you, I think I need to look in the mirror."

<Coaches forget that's usually the first place to start.>

Lagniappe.