Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 2, 2016

P-A-R-I




I learn a lot by asking players questions. Recently I asked my team whether they knew the meaning of "destiny". "T" (as in Too Much Information) had the answer, "what happens to you." The point was to define choice (decisions) and execution as determining destiny. You control your destiny during a game. 

If I were to ask them "why are you here?" they might answer "to play basketball" or "to win". I would answer, "to compete." And if they were to ask me why I was there, I would answer, "to help you to live your lives as well as possible." Playing better basketball would be a by-product of an effective process rather than a primary goal. 

When we are situationally aware as Eric Greitens writes in Resilience, four questions arise, "why am I here?", "what is happening?", "what is my response?", and "what is the impact of my action on those around me?" For simplicity, I use the 'acronym' PARI - PURPOSE, ANALYSIS, RESPONSE, IMPACT. 

Example: I chose an alternate starting lineup to begin a recent game with the purpose of giving some different players the 'feel' of beginning the game. I remained committed to that decision and rotations. My analysis was that we came out very sluggish against a mediocre team. Ultimately, our team response was satisfactory, but the impact is that decision had a negative effect on how we competed. 

We can't stop to ask questions every time a challenge arises. When there's a speeding car headed at you, jump out of the way and ask questions later. But we need an accelerated (automatic) response in many situations...which is why we practice. 

I've discussed our pregame rituals, including asking "how do we play?" "We play fast." But the embedded PURPOSE is to define a style is to advantage our people and skills. The ANALYSIS is we have quickness and athleticism and limited height. We must control the middle (foul line to foul line) of the court. We are the cavalry, not the infantry (ground pounders) or artillery (long-range bombers). The RESPONSE is playing fast to get more and better shots, defeat zone defense, disrupt less athletic players, and wear down bigger teams. The IMPACT is more equally distributed playing time, higher scoring, and occasionally this allows opponents easy shots. 

"PARI" allows us to deliberate many processes and develop better solutions in a variety of situations. For example, as a team we should be on the same page when we need our "best" inbounds plays (BOB and SLOB) and best sets against both man-to-man and zone defenses. Many experienced individuals are "unconsciously competent" and don't need that type of decision analysis. But far more can benefit from the discipline the process imposes.