Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 5, 2022

Basketball Separating Moves that Make Elite Offensive Players

 Basketball: Getting Ahead, Advice from a Talking Dog

First, a story. On a country road, a driver saw a sign:

TALKING DOG, $25

He stopped and inquired, asking if he could talk with the dog. The owner agreed. "Tell me your story." The dog answered, "when I was a puppy, my owner discovered I had speech. Naturally, they turned me over to the CIA where I became an operative. I accessed many meetings and got valuable insights. But I got old, so they retired me and here I am." The driver said, "that's incredible. And you'll sell him to me for $25?" The owner replied, "He's such a liar. He never did any of that." 

Sometimes to get ahead, straight ahead is not the best. 

"Basketball, a game of getting and preventing separation," is one of my themes. Separation helps players "win in space." Most players aren't so quick to win with pure speed. 

Study techniques and players that used misdirection to separate. 

1. Evan Turner crossover. 

Don't just watch video, study the microskills that create separation. 

2. Iverson crossover. 

I won't show the Iverson crosses Jordan video because you've all seen it. The video suggests tips to separate. 

3. Durant "float dribble" or "hang hesitation." I like float dribble. 

4. Side step 3. Figure out which footwork works best for you, slide or crossover (depends on available pivot foot).  

5. Retreat step. "Track attack." 

Some call it "retreat step" or "load step." I want to call it "track attack because it resembles a sprinter in the blocks. 

Ryan Pannone shares video of variations, the retreat dribble into attack. 


The lesson of each is, to get separation, a straight line isn't always the best. And like the talking dog, I never did any of that. 

Summary:
  • Separate with misdirection.
  • Evan Turner crossover
  • Iverson crossover
  • Side step 3
  • Durant "float dribble" 
  • Track attack (retreat step, load step, retreat dribble)
Lagniappe (something extra). Footwork tip. Set up on the perimeter and initiate a move like one of the above or a reverse pivot, jab and go, jab and rip through. Now start each of the same moves with your eyes closed. If you can do them with your eyes closed, you can look off defenders in any direction. Try it. 

Lagniappe 2. Focus!